[TZGISUG] Fwd: [New post] Report on coastal environmental data in Tanzania – towards a NDSI in Tanzania

Howard Frederick simbamangu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 09:22:13 EAT 2015

We desperately need an NSDI in Tanzania ... but the past decade (some
really good articles on this, Ragnvald, thank you) has not been encouraging.

I wonder if getting private sector and NGOs to voluntarily commit to some
sort of open standards would be possible, instead of waiting for a
nationally-led process? Having organisations committing to sharing data
within 6 months after collection, with certain levels of anonymity for
private data, might be a way forward. Is there any open standard for this
kind of thing already?