[TZGISUG] GIS and informatics courses in December 2015

Howard Frederick simbamangu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:50:12 EAT 2015

The Tanzania Conservation Resource Centre <http://www.tzcrc.org> is aiming
to put on another series of GIS and bioinformatics workshops on each side
of the TAWIRI Scientific Conference
<http://tawiri.or.tz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=25>
this year, with coursework in Arusha town.

Below I've listed some of the likely courses we'd like to run, and would
like to hear suggestions and feedback. There will be an online registration
once the course schedule is confirmed.

Suggested workshops:

   - Intro to GIS with QGIS: fieldwork mapping elements of GIS (5 days);
   - Advanced QGIS usage: vector and raster analysis (3 days);
   - GPS for fieldwork mapping: practical gathering of GPS data and
   elementary mapping and communication (1 day);
   - Introduction to statistics with R (5 days).

Possible additional workshops (trainers are available, depends on interest).

   - PostGIS setup, administration and usage;
   - Python plugin development for QGIS.

Thoughts, suggestions, questions?