[TZGISUG] Satellite image

Pekka Hurskainen pekka.hurskainen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 15:43:27 EAT 2014

Hi David,

first of all, what is the time scale you are looking at, how many years of
changes? In case you are not looking more than a decade back, you could
have a look at the MODIS Yearly Land Cover product, which is available
globally since 2001 at 500 meter spatial resolution. See
https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/products/modis_products_table/mcd12q1

The great advantage of using a ready remote sensing product such as this is
obviously that you don't need to do the classifications yourself. This is
very important because doing change detection is not a trivial task at all
- it requires good imagery captured in the same season, image
preprocessing, appropriate field data collection, choosing the appropriate
change detection methodologies, accuracy assessment, etc. etc.

In the case of using a ready product, you just simply apply the data in GIS
and cite the relevant references (
https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/about/citing_lp_daac_and_data). No need even to use
(and learn) any remote sensing software.

 The bad side of using the ready MODIS land cover product is that it has
some inaccuracies and you just have to accept a degree of error in your
results. However the accuracies and uncertainties are known and documented,
so you don't need to do that yourself. Also you are stuck with the existing
resolution and classes.

Btw. there is a very good change detection module in SAGA GIS, easy to use
but still powerful. (http://www.saga-gis.org/)

Hope this is helpful, good luck

Pekka

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Mark Iliffe via TZGISUG <
tzgisug at lists.habari.co.tz> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> You can currently digitise data into OpenStreetMap for free, but this will
> only show one time frame. I think this will be the most current data for
> you to use. Have you considered Landsat?
>
> Best,
>
> Mark
>

> On 9 Jun 2014, at 15:36, David Gunda via TZGISUG <
> tzgisug at lists.habari.co.tz> wrote:
>
> H! I'm David Gunda from CAWM-TZ, i'm looking for the assistance on how i
> can get satellite image which shows land use changes for Tarangire -
> Manyara wildlife corridor (a.k.a Kwakuchinja wildlife corridor) which will
> helps me to write my research so as to achieve my bachelor degree in
> wildlife management
> I'm looking forward for your answer
> Thanks
>

> --
>

> *David Gunda Bachelor degree in Wildlife Management College of African
> Wildlife Management - Mweka,Moshi-Tanzania+255767 61 40 25
> <%2B255767%2061%2040%2025>Whats app +255787 61 40 25
> <%2B255787%2061%2040%2025>*

Pekka Hurskainen
+358-44-3390018
pekka.hurskainen at gmail.com