[TZGISUG] Raster analysis in QGIS

Steve Ball steve.ball at mpingoconservation.org
Thu Feb 20 19:55:12 EAT 2014

Howdy folks,

Not sure this group is the best forum to ask this question, but I
thought I'd give it a go. I have a raster of biomass values (derived
from RADAR data, the values are in floating point format if that
matters). I need to stratify that into 5t/ha bands, i.e. where the value
ranges from 0 to 5, then 5 to 10 etc. Displaying the raster visually in
these terms is easy enough, but actually converting the data into this
form appears much harder. Then I would like to be able to check the
distribution of vector point data across those strata (ought to be
straightforward), and also to compute the total area of each such
stratum (not yet sure how I do this). It would be nice, not least for
future replicability, to accomplish this all in QGIS without resorting
to ArcView.

Any pointers on relevant instructions on the interwebs most appreciated,
since am struggling to guess the appropriate search terms. Can the
Sextante plugin help?

cheers, Steve

ps. Am currently using QGIS 1.8 but could switch to 2.0.1 if that would
do the trick.
Steve Ball
Chief Technical Adviser
Mpingo Conservation & Development Initiative
www.mpingoconservation.org