[ALUG] Data Folder Permission Error - Rain Loop

Andreas Tauscher ta at geuka.net
Fri Apr 27 23:04:20 EAT 2018

> I have installed and configured Mail Server (Postfix/Dovecot) in Centos
> 7. I have tested with 'telnet localhost smtp'  and the server is  able
> to send and receive emails.

You should not use port 25 for sending mails.
For authenticated users use submission port 587 with STARTTLS.
If you use port 25 you can not use things like postscreen (highly
effective keeping spam bots out) and other stuff will cause headache and
a hell of exemptions.

> After configuring Rainloop webmail client,  I got an error  "[202] Data
> folder permissions error" on the web browser. I have tried to change all
> possible permissions in the directory /var/www/html/rainloop/data and
> assigned ownership to default user 'apache' but the problem persists.

Which user is owning the files?

> Does anyone knows a better way to solve this?  Or any better web mail
> client apart from Squirrel in terms of security?

I am very satisfied with roundcube http://roundcube.net/
Running is instead with mod_php as user apache with mod_fcgi as a
separate user and basedir restrictions is not only improving security it
is also eliminating access rights problems.

Andreas