[ALUG] Disable Windows Updates on Squid

Andreas Tauscher ta at geuka.net
Fri Apr 27 22:52:44 EAT 2018

Am 17.04.2018 um 10:35 schrieb Hamisi Jabe via Linux:
> Dear All,
>

> I would like to disable windows updates using squid proxy or if possible
> to cache the updates for other computers to update locally.

I have to search for it.
Built this a while ago based on the proxy module of nginx which is
building up a local mirror of the update servers. Was more efficient
than squid direct. Squid is using the nginx proxy as upstream.

> It’s really consuming bandwidth as when you disable from the service,
> after sometimes it starts automatically and starts updating again. I
> don’t know why the updates are more than a GB, Microsoft is …

Windows 10 has a p2p update distribution. Make sure it is limited to the
local network.
Update and security, Windows update, Advanced options, Choose how
updates delivered

Either turn it completely off or choose PCs on my local network.
By default Win 10 is sharing the updates downloaded with the entire world.

In a later post was WSUS: There is also a offline version. Very handy to
update PCs without internet connection. http://wsusoffline.net/
For the WSUS you need a Windows domain controller with AD and group
policies. AFIAK windows is not using any SRV or _something._tcp DNS
records to locate the WSUS server. A implementation usable with samba 4
does as I know not exist.

Andreas