[ALUG] Mozilla will obsolete HTTP

Alan Orth alan.orth at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:09:48 EAT 2015

I liked this point from the recent (virtual) meeting with Snowden in
Princeton[0]:

"Cryptanalysis has been seen of RC4, but not of elliptic curve crypto, and
there's no sign of exploits against other commonly used algorithms. Of
course, the vendors of some products have been coopted, notably skype.
Homegrown crypto is routinely problematic, but properly implemented crypto
keeps the agency out; gpg ciphertexts with RSA 1024 were returned as fails."

The NSA is mostly opportunistic: sabotaging standards, collecting
plaintext, strong-arming companies like Skype, etc. But the math is good.
Elliptic curve cryptography is ok. AES is solid. Use "forward secret"
ciphers where possible (Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral, aka DHE, and Elliptic
Curve Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral, aka ECDHE) so that people recording your
encrypted communications can't re-play them later when they get your
server's private key. :)

Alan

[0]
https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2015/05/02/meeting-snowden-in-princeton/

--
Alan Orth
alan.orth at gmail.com
https://alaninkenya.org
https://mjanja.ch
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." -Friedrich Nietzsche
GPG public key ID: 0x8cb0d0acb5cd81ec209c6cdfbd1a0e09c2f836c0