[ALUG] Setting Crons on FreeBSD

Ismail Settenda ismailmss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:36:51 EAT 2015

Hello's

*/*30 * * * *    /usr/local/bin/bash /etc/rsync.sh   -- * sounds about
right but your explanation there after kidogo seems inconsistent.

*/30 and 30 would mean the same thing for the first portion ....i.e. to run
every 30th minute of the hour or to run every 30 minutes result in the same
answer cause half of the hour is 30 mins but is very different use another
figure.

 */2*0 * * * * or  *2*0 * * * * the first now means *to run at intervals of
20 minute of the hour and *the second* to run at 20th minute of ever hour.
The first will run 3 times in an hour whereas the second will run only once
in an hour.

Now I would suspect your problem is more with the second portion of the
command (*am assuming you running this as root*).

* /usr/local/bin/bash ....two things ..can you confirm this is the right
path to the bash command by say*

*ls ** /usr/local/bin/bash*

*or do you really need it and re-write the cron command as :*

*/*30 * * * *   /etc/rsync.sh*
which is the same as
*30 * * * *   /etc/rsync.sh*

Additionally why not just use sh