[TZGISUG] A Request to Propose a Course Name for our MUST College Programme

Edwin Mugerezi edmugerezi at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 09:37:40 EAT 2016

Dear GIS Users,
Please read the information below and participate to propose a name for our Course.
Edwin Mugerezi

|  |

| Having trouble viewing or submitting this form? |
|  |

| FILL OUT IN GOOGLE FORMS |

|  |

|  |
| Please read the background information below, then click "Continue" button to propose a Course Name. Submit when done. |
|  |
| Proposed a Name for MUST College Training Programme |

| From: The Principal
 Mugerezi Spatial Technology (MUST College)
 Dar es salaam, Tanzania

Dear Sir/Madam,
We request you to participate in this short survey to propose a Course Name for our programme. Mugerezi Spatial Technology (MUST College) is a registered training college with VETA Tanzania running a two year full time course for students who finish form IV. After running the course for three years know, we like to engage our stakeholders to propose a Course name. A proper course name is important in order to get potential students, sponsors and employers, to be specific, of East Africa, understand what the course is all about and what they should expect from a graduate. A course name will attract students, will open doors for employment, and will allow students to be accepted in other colleges for further studies.

Background
The Information and Communication Technologies have changed a lot in the past 30 years. Back in 1980’s we had Database Management System (DBMS) with dBase IV and ACCESS, then followed the now powerful SQL and Oracle databases. DBMS handled the attribute data only. Also we had the Computer Aided Design (CAD) software with AUTOCAD and ARCHCAD being popular. DBMS and CAD were not talking. In late 1980’s we had Geographic Information System (GIS) which was able to integrate attribute data (DBMS) and spatial data (CAD/MAPS). Then during the past 15 years, more technologies have been integrated which include GPS, Remote Sensing, Mobile Mapping and Web mapping.
In 2014 MUST College was established and registered under Vocational Education and Training Authority (VETA) to offer a 2 years full time certificate course for students who finish form IV and VI. This VETA certificate course is a competent based education which focuses on offering practical skills (hands-on) and experience to students. Graduates from this course are expected to work as technicians in all sectors responsible for collecting, processing and managing geographic/land related data.

Core Modules for the Course are:
1. Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Global Positioning System (GPS)
3. Basic Image Processing and Applications with GIS software
4. Map Layout Design with GIS software
5. Map production with GIS software
6. Basic data analysis with GIS software

The course we are offering with the modules listed above, is new to many potential employers, students and parents. The feedback we are getting requires the College to blend a Course name to reflect the expectation and the understanding of our society, more specifically in the East African countries.

We wish to have a course name that is:
1. Marketable and Saleable
2. Easy to explain and acceptable by students, parents, sponsors and employers
3. Reflects the course contents (GIS, GPS, Remote Sensing, Mobile mapping)
4. Recognized locally and internationally
5. Acceptable at all academic levels i.e. Certificate, Diploma, Degree, Msc, PHD.
6. Will form a cadre/title in the employment sector
7. Explains the skills of graduate
8. Allows graduates to join other courses for further studies

|  |