[TZGISUG] Tanzania Climate Data for GIS

Pekka Hurskainen pekka.hurskainen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:01:11 EAT 2015

Dear Mike,

apologies, the Africlim resolution is not 1 arc-second but 30 arc-seconds
(approx. 926 meters at equator). Still the most high-resolution climate
projections dataset available for Africa. For more info, apart from the
excellent website see also: Platts PJ, Omeny PA, Marchant R (2015).
AFRICLIM: high-resolution climate projections for ecological applications
in Africa. African Journal of Ecology 53, 103-108

For rainfall datasets, I also recommend CHIRPS (Climate Hazards Group
InfraRed Precipitation with Station data). It is a 30+ year quasi-global
rainfall dataset.Spanning 50°S - 50°N (and all longitudes), starting in
1981 to near-present, CHIRPS incorporates 0.05° resolution satellite
imagery with in-situ station data to create gridded rainfall time series
for trend analysis and seasonal drought monitoring.

CHIRPS homepage
http://chg.geog.ucsb.edu/data/chirps

CHIRPS data
ftp://chg-ftpout.geog.ucsb.edu/pub/org/chg/products/CHIRPS-2.0/

CHIRPS FAQ
http://chg-wiki.geog.ucsb.edu/wiki/CHIRPS_FAQ

CHIRPS paper
http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/832/

Then, of course, the old reliable WORLDCLIM datasets for temperature data
and much more, global grids with resolution of 30 arc-seconds also. Current
conditions include data from 1950s to 2000.

Hijmans, R.J., S.E. Cameron, J.L. Parra, P.G. Jones and A. Jarvis, 2005.
Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas.
International Journal of Climatology 25: 1965-1978.

http://www.worldclim.org/current
http://www.worldclim.org/methods
http://www.worldclim.org/formats

BR