[TZGISUG] Course in Open GIS and research on spatial analysis in climate change planning

Joseph Holler holler.joseph at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 18:12:02 EAT 2015

Dear TZGIS Group,

Last year, I developed an advanced GIS undergraduate course teaching open
source data and software (mainly SpatiaLite databases, QGIS, and SAGA).
The end-goal of the course was individual student projects analyzing
population change and land cover change for a developing country.  I'm
sending this to you all because I used Tanzania as a case study and we
struggled with many of the same issues with census data previously
discussed on this listserv.

The lab manual for the course is free under creative commons, available
here: http://www.josephholler.com/files/GIS4DEV.pdf

It is definitely not perfect yet.  We did not, e.g. solve all of the census
data problems (e.g. huge errors in digitizing enumeration areas around Lake
Victoria).  I was teaching methods to students, not employing interns to
slog through every digitization error.  But, you all may still find value
in the strategies to diagnose error and in the introduction to spatial SQL
and I warmly welcome any feedback you have.

On a different topic, is anyone on this list involved with any Tanzanian
activity to use GIS / spatial analysis for assessing vulnerability to
climate change or for planning climate change adaptation?  Either within
government or NGOs...  I'm concluding a research project on spatial
planning in national adaptation programmes of action (for climate, under
UNFCCC) and looking to propose future research on spatial planning in the
NAP process in East African countries.  I'd greatly appreciate any contacts
in Tanzania.  My email is holler.joseph at gmail.com or joseph at josephholler.com

Best,
Joseph Holler
Visiting Assistant Professor of Geography
Middlebury College