[TZGISUG] global 30m land cover dataset

Anna Estes anna.estes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 11:46:52 EAT 2014

Hi All,

Well, I am finally in a position to answer Howard's question. The data
were a little difficult to get hold of, but I finally did, and have had
a look. Tanzania is covered by about 5 tiles, each of which is a 25-40mb
download, zipped (contrary to what the site says about 10mb downloads).
You have to request the data, then it takes several days for them to
approve the request, after which they will send your instructions to
download via ftp (keep an eye on your spam filter, as this is where all
of my communications from them went). Unfortunately, the first ftp login
information they gave me did not work, and I was unable to get anyone to
respond to my request to send new information. So I created another
account and requested the data again, and this time the ftp information
worked, and I successfully downloaded the data. I have only summarily
looked over one of the tiles so far (for the Maasai Steppe area), but I
can say, that like most global products, it does savanna very poorly
indeed. Most wooded areas, even with I would say 30+ percent cover, it
is classifying as grassland in the areas I've spot-checked. On the other
hand, it seems to be doing at least a reasonable job with even
small-scale agriculture in those same areas. So I guess how useful these
classifications may be to you will depend on what you are hoping to get
out of them.

If you do want to download, go to the site and click on the Download
link in the upper right of the screen, and there it will show you all
the tiles and you can request the ones you want. There also seems to be
a shapefile you can download that shows all the tiles.

All the best,

Anna