[TZGISUG] Tanzania Polygon

Mike Shand Mike.Shand at glasgow.ac.uk
Sat Apr 19 18:53:52 EAT 2014

Dear Philipo,

 >>Is there a population map of Tanzania census 1988 ?
The only printed series of population distribution maps of the 1988
census I have seen is in an unpublished MSc dissertation here at the
University of Glasgow by Eugene Silyo (Ardhi University, Dar es
Salaam).  Unfortunately they were produced in some very early and now
discontinued mapping and GIS software - MapData /GIMMS.  I may be able
to get permission to photocopy the dissertation maps, they are basic
2-colour line plots with simple dot or cross hatch shadings  (done
before ink-jet printers were available).

I have somewhere a set of shapefiles I created many years ago, at
district and region level only, which includes some of the 1988 census
data (total; male; female; households; household size; urban; rural;
mixed).  The region shapefiles also contain some of the 1967 and 1978
population data.
I have published a couple of basic ones at Regional level from the above
shapefiles online at:
http://web2.ges.gla.ac.uk/~mshand/atlasoftanzania/atlas.htm#anchor5404714 <http://web2.ges.gla.ac.uk/%7Emshand/atlasoftanzania/atlas.htm#anchor5404714>

Regards,
Mike