[ALUG] unix.or.tz

Andreas Tauscher ta at geuka.net
Wed Mar 7 20:57:04 EAT 2018

Hi Folks!

I have setup now a new website for unix.or.tz

It needs now a little bit cleanup and then I can show it for testing.
I set up with Drupal 8. Some have maybe recognised that I am not a fan
of Wordpress and Joomla ;).
But it has here some simple practical reasons:
I organised the page a little bit like a magazine. To show then the
relevant articles for each section is with the drupal taxonomy system
and views extremely simple. Add an tag(s) to an article and you are done.
Wordpress and Joomla having also a tagging system but is compared to
drupal's taxonomy system very basic and inflexible, nearly primitive.
Something like views where I can filter content depending on the context
(domain name, menu level, time.... whatever) does in Wordpress and
Joomla not exist at all or only as proprietary plugin which is still far
behind.

One goal was to get everything running without any external services. No
google fonts, no CDN, nothing external.

For now I have some pages about Open Source Software, a calendar for
trainings, meetings, events including a map to find the place. This is
only external content: Map tiles from Open Streetmap.

A section for tooltips. I want to write there (hopefully at least once
per week) a short presentation (max ~200-250 words) of a cool command
line tool.
Then some sections like administration, networking, security,
software... which I split then again in subtopics (easy done by adding
tags to the article an it will be shown in the matching section(s).
e.g. networking has sub sections like IPv6, DNS, DHCP, SSL....

All articles can be in English and/or Swahili. (Drupal is by default
multilingual)
Subdomains like arusha.unix.or.tz also possible for local only relevant
things and they can have even a different layout within the same systems.
Automatic posting to Twitter and Facebook also in.

You will see. From setting up and trying different options the system is
still full with a lot of crap. Cleaning now up and adding some more
articles for trying it out.

I am mainly not really happy with the domain name unix.or.tz.
IMHO it is too specific, UNIX is a trademark, and it is too specific.

Some suggestions what instead might be fitting better?
More general and pointing more on the topic of open source, software
freedom?

Andreas