[ALUG] Ransomware: most dangerous cyber threat

James Julius jamesraph at habari.co.tz
Thu Nov 10 07:29:50 EAT 2016

Hi Haward,

The threats is not on Linux machines but on Windows machines, as most of us
in one way or another we are supporting someone  with Windows machine, i
think we should be aware of this.
According to my research it seems there is not way to recover the encrypted
files or decrypt it without paying the attacker for decryption keys which
also there is not guarantee they will give you the key, the best way is to
use the offline backup taken before the virus hit, as the very bad this is
when the virus hit one machine it scans all the connected drives which
means it can affect server also, and this means it can affect all machines
connected to that server.

It is very bad threat when you came across it, i think we should be aware.

Kind regards.

--

James Julius
Noc/Servers Department