[ALUG] Comparison Between Cisco and Mikrotik Swithes/Routers

Lomayani S. Laizer lomlaizer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 09:57:55 EAT 2016

For now I dont see why you should use cisco otherwise you are very rich

   - Price per performance is not good. Generally they have robust hardware
   but for me to buy a single cisco switches to have life of 10yrs, its better
   to buy 2 extra mikrotik switches for standby if main die after 3 yrs i
   replace with new standby switch. I have mikrotik routers running more than
   5yrs now. Few died because of power issues

   - Cisco firewall capability is not good in their general routers.
   Mikrotik firewall pretty robust since anything done in linux can be done
   there
   - I like scripting ability in mikrotik which is not in cisco, so you can
   customize according to your need
   -
   - Most people go to cisco because of buliding ipsec vpn or vlan which is
   are available in other routers or switches but because of laziness to read,
   they prefer cisco since they had cisco classes at university or ccna. I
   have seen offices buying cisco 2000 series or 3000s(costs almost more than
   2500usd) just for ipsec vpn with maximum of 1mbps speed while that vpn can
   be configured under mikrotic router which costs around 100usd. Buy five of
   them configure vpn and put remaining other router as backup in case main
   dies. then you save more than 2000usd. Imagine that saving for 20 branches
   -
   - Mikrotik has robust features as cisco (BGP, MPLS and OSPF) only thing
   missing in routing ISIS which i dont see is the must  as long as you have
   OSPF
   - Main lack of Mikrotik is ability to have WAN modules like ADSL, STM,
   VOIP cards and etc. For me its better to buy separate dedicate devices eg
   pure stm switches which are cheap and connect it Mikrotik via normal
   Ethernet or sfp
   - Mikrotik lack good testing of the new OS releases, dont upgrade until
   labeled stable otherwise you can break everything. So i advice dont be so
   up to date

Finally to save money sometime you need to move from your comfort zone. Not
because you know windows you buy those license(1000+usd) just to run an
exchange while you can run over linux under 0usd or because you heard about
or learned cisco then you see cisco only as possible soln in routers or
switches. Jiongezeni vijana wangu acheni uvivu

--
Lomayani