[ALUG] Microsoft has built a Linux OS and it makes perfect sense

Andreas Tauscher ta at geuka.net
Sat Sep 19 14:05:10 EAT 2015

This rumours coming up frequently.

That Microsoft contributed a lot to the Linux kernel was done not
because they wanted to do it. They had to do it.
Clients requested to run Linux in Azure. If Microsoft can not provide
this the client will go somewhere else.
Not to loose this business they have been forced to get Linux proper
running in their virtualisation solution.
Also their effort for .net on Linux has a simple reason: They want to
sell their own products.
Linux as server platform in the internet is a force Microsoft has
nothing against it. If there is no way to write a cross platform
software there will be no chance for them to sell anything to a client
now running his software on Linux. That the client later will rewrite
his software from scratch and shifting then to Windows server is quite
unlikely to happen. But if the software can be easy transferred from for
example a apache-mysql server to IIS ans Microsoft SQL they can sell a
licence.
I can install apache, mysql, php, perl, python and whatever on Windows
but why should I do it when there is a system where all this is included?
Microsoft will not start to ship Windows with python. But they will
provide .net packages for Linux. And they will improve C# on other
platforms.
It is the same with their support for samba. If a client can easy
migrate from samba to Windows server he might do it.
If Windows on the desktop is not proper working with samba the client
might replace Windows.

Rolling out a own distribution does not make any sense for Microsoft.
Microsoft has finally recognised that there is a big universe outside
Redmond.
Money you make by selling service. And if I sell service preferred
service I can provide my self and in a way the client will stay with me.
Supporting Linux and related projects is opening this big market to
them. By providing a Linux distribution Microsoft will become it's own
competitor.
With selling OS licences you don't make money any more. And this
business they ruined somehow themselves. When I buy a PC I get Windows
somehow for free. Or it seems to be for free because it in included in
the total price. Buying Windows nearly nobody is willing to do this. It
comes without any value. A bare windows installation is all over
useless. A lot of additional software is needed.
Same is with Windows phone, support for Adroid and iOS. This is the only
way to make clients using their services.
Or does here anybody believe Google putting a lot of effort in Android
and giving it away for free because they are nice guys?
There is only one reason behind: Making clients to use their services.
The same is the reason that Microsoft is giving Windows 10 away for
free. I provide the client a platform and then the client will start
using my services. The service is brining revenue not the product.

Andreas