[ALUG] Systemd and the future

Richard Manyanza 1.liseki at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 16:06:22 EAT 2014

For a really good summary take a look at:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2608798/data-center/systemd--harbinger-of-the-linux-apocalypse.html

I generally agree with the view of the article. My thoughts:
1. The design of systemd is really anti-UNIX; I find it hard to trade in
init shell scripts for its opaqueness.
2. With systemd and GNOME you get an impression that Linux is becoming less
*nix like and more, well, Linux. It is becoming it's own OS.
3. A lot of these changes are catering to desktop users (and embedded
systems) where boot times are big selling points. For server users I think
you need to tread strategically with the future in mind.
4. Some very smart people who know a whole lot more than me about the
innards of OSes are jumping into it. I either don't know the whole of it or
maybe there might be a cargo-cult aspect to this. And perhaps motivations
of market share etc. I am really surprised how many distros have switched
to it!
5. I think systemd fundamentally (possibly) changes the open source
landscape. I really wonder what we will think 10 years from now about this
decision.
6. Lastly, it's good to see some of the old guard (Gentoo & Slackware)
keeping systemd at bay, for now.