[ALUG] Centos7

Andreas Tauscher ta at geuka.net
Tue Jul 15 10:29:06 EAT 2014

On 07/14/2014 04:35 PM, Andreas Tauscher via Linux wrote:

>> I tried but Centos 7 is running kernel 3.10 and it seem to support the
>> following type of ethernet and not D-Link

Another way to find out if a card is supported:
lspci -nn
The output will look like this:
[...]
00:03.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
[...]

If lspci shows already a model name like here "82540EM Gigabit Ethernet
Controller" it is usual supported.
Our interest is now: [8086:100e]

cat /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.pcimap | grep 8086 | grep 100e
will give you the module supporting this device.

For your VIA Ethernetcard the PCI Id should be: [1106:3106]

Maybe applicable parameters to load the module you get with modinfo
module name.

If the module is not loading try the parameter debug=1 watch the syslog
output and then....
Reading the comments in the module source code might give a hint. Write
an patch and file an bug report.

Andreas

PS: Just have seen in the sources:
The board is only working in a bus master PCI slot. Is PCI bus master
enabled in the BIOS? Or is is located in a not bus master capable PCI
slot? If you mainboard has more than 4 PCI slots not all might be master
capable.
If you have an older mainboard still having a AGP slot try the second
slot left from the AGP slot. The slot direct beside the AGP slot often
shares some resources with AGP.
If the bios is buggy setpci might help, but be careful with this tool:
It is powerful ;>