[ALUG] Centos7

Andreas Tauscher ta at geuka.net
Thu Jul 10 19:43:47 EAT 2014

Am 07/10/2014 06:57 PM, schrieb Hamisi Jabe via Linux:
> Dear All,
>
> CentOS 7 has just been released
>
> I have installed it and the kind of network cards are like fedora 16
> - 20 where they are named as em0, em1 and not like eth0 and eth1.

Only names. It's all hollow words ;)

> I have worked all the way to rename it to eth* but the big issue is.
> The machine i installed the Os has two network cards but its only the
> primary/board network card is visible upon using the command ifconfig
> when i use the command lspci i get the information below for the two
> nic
>
> 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
> Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)

> 0a:01.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S
> [Rhine-III] (rev 86)
>
> Now the first one has been allocated the name "enp4s0"
>
> How do i find the allocated name of the second nic as it is not
> displayed when using the ifconfig command, and in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ there is only one file called
> "ifcfg-enp4s0" for the first nic only

check the output of dmesg.
A list of all cards you find for example in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf
beside the directories all and default you find a dir for each interface.
Or in this case in /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:0a:01.0/net you should
find also the name for the card.
But first check the output of dmesg/kernel.log
Rhine-III should be handled by the via_rhine module. Is it loaded?
As I remember there have been several versions of this ethernet chipset
and not all are covered by the via_rhine module.
If it is such a version you will find an hint in the logs which module
to use instead.
Then you blacklist via_rhine in modprobe or force the loading of the
other module in modprobe or you adapt a udev rule to load a different
module.
udev is also the place where you can rename the devices back to ethx.
There you also can force to load/unload/reconfigure a different module,
execute scripts before or after modules are loaded, hardware is plugged
in or disconnected.....

Andreas