[ALUG] Five best Linux applications for enterprises

Andreas Tauscher ta at geuka.net
Wed Jan 22 14:34:04 EAT 2014

Am 21.01.2014 22:48, schrieb Adili:

> 2. OrangeHRM is not one of the most powerful human resource
> management (HRM) tools available. But, as one of the best Linux
> applications, OrangeHRM includes modules for administration, leave,
> personal information management, time, employee self-service,
> recruitment/applicant tracking, performance and an audit trail.

As far I know it is still leaking a proper API. Making it difficult to
connect with other Software like ERP.

> 3. Openbravo is to ERP what OrangeHRM is to HRM. This particular
> take on the ERP system handles all enterprise company management
> tasks, such as finances, supply chain and manufacturing. Openbravo
> includes

The commercial version is IMHO expensive. The Community Edition has many
limitations, and access to several resources is only granted to
registered partners. Since it is java you need tomcat on the server and
if you want to connect remote offices, the bandwidth requirements are
high. For a single client 512kBit downstream is really the minimum
needed. If it is less the webclient reacts really slow.
A quiet well adapted ERP for east African needs is KwaMoja.
http://kwamoja.com/ Only a LAMP is needed and the simple HTML only
front end is on slow connections also usable.

> 4. Nagios has quickly become the industry standard in IT
> infrastructure monitoring and one of the best Linux applications.
> With this single tool, you can monitor your entire infrastructure,
> spot problems before they occur, plan for infrastructure updates,

For new installations I would not choose Nagios anymore. The fork Icinga
has some really worthy enhancements: Setup as a distributed system,
enhanced database support, improved and much more modern and flexible
webfrontend, search option, improved access rights, export of data,
doctrine, REST and JSON support.

> 5. Amanda is one of the best Linux enterprise backup solutions. This
> open source backup product backs up multiple hosts over a network
> from a single master backup server. Amanda uses native utilities to
> back up Linux and Unix servers or desktops and uses a native Windows

Here I fully agree. Amanda is one of the most flexible backup systems.
If you back up 1 machine or 1000 Amanda doesn't care as long you have
enough bandwidth and storage ;). But the set up is anything else than
trivial.

Andreas