[ALUG] Working group 2 (Collaboration Workspace)

Erik Rowberg erowberg at habari.co.tz
Tue Sep 3 11:42:40 EAT 2013

Thanks for stirring up the discussion again.

1. Are they compatible?  I would look at it that they might need each
other.  collaboration group maybe only need outside help with space and
BW.  They can organize and train and collaborate on their own, the space
and BW just makes it better.  The training center needs the professional
group for guidance, mentors, and trainers.  But is that valid, do the pros
need anything they don't already have?

2. Agreed this should not be like other schools, maybe all we are giving is
controlled access to Internet.  You won't get a certificate.  I can imagine
there are big percentage of kids without Internet access or computer
access.  Now how do you make it worthwhile and what is worthwhile?  In my
own life in the early 1980's the Regional offices had a Apple IIe.  Somehow
I got permission to use it, and the govt programmer (Chikoti) was cool and
helped me get going.  Later those programming skills and language learned
allowed me to make a living.
Another example but maybe for a more "privileged group" is to figure out a
way to give them "projects" under supervision.  Internships.

 I still feel like we need to go to secondary schools and find out how they
would use it, or if it is even possible due to traveling.

3.  How do we measure its success?  Hmmm, i guess it comes first with
defining the goal of the lab.

It would be easy to say, we expect to see young students get more skills in
computers.  HOwever there are tons of kids walking around with computer
skills and no jobs.

Afraid I might of raised more questions but that is the stage we are at
anyway.

erik

Regards,

Erik Rowberg
Managing Director
Habari Node Limited

*NOW IN MWANZA !*

Office Phone: +255 27 2050220  +255 75 424 2442
Email: erowberg at habari.co.tz
Personal Email erikrowberg at gmail.com
http://www.habari.co.tz
P.O Box 1215,