[ALUG] Working group 2 (Collaboration Workspace)

Richard 1.liseki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:58:23 EAT 2013

Hi Guys,

So far the ideas seem to be on one hand an internet cafe / workspace which
over time can have facilities added to it (like the hosting platform that
Brian suggested) and on the other hand a sort of outreach center.

I would like to ask a few questions in the hope of soliciting more
discussion:
1. Are the two ideas compatible? I guess if we start with an internet cafe
sort of setting with people bringing their own laptops the outreach will
have to wait until we have at least a couple of work stations or in-house
laptops.

2. Given that we do not want this to be like a traditional computer school,
what exactly will it be like? A secondary school student can probably
enroll in a general computer school, then maybe afterwards university or a
professional qualification (Cisco etc) training school. Given those options
that exists out there, what would we hope the students to learn? Going down
this road will require at some point things like needs assessment,
curriculum development etc.

3. Of course there is the option of just lending the space to students say
on particular days and letting them enjoy decent internet and hope they
just learn something informally from being around other more experienced
people. This leads to me next question, what would be the goal here? In
other words, if we were to do this for say 2 years, we would say this is
successful if what happens? Having a goal would help us refine our thinking
here.