[ALUG] November meetup

Richard 1.liseki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 10:25:17 EAT 2013

Thanks once again to KITEC for hosting us, the warm hospitality and the
refreshments.

Thanks also to Zachariah for an engaging and interesting introduction into
Ruby and Ruby on Rails. It was great that it not only covered the topic but
also general good practices that programmers of all languages should be
using like version control (with git), separation of concerns when creating
a program, and the importance of testing.

For those who expected a remote connection, I'm sorry. I actually saw the
message too late and at the beginning of the session we actually didn't
have wifi access; the signal did not reach the room. After Miku arrived we
were able to sort that our together with bandwidth but by then we were
already underway.

I was the one who checked out the venue before hand so I should have
checked to ensure Wifi access. My apologies. The session, while exciting,
did run over time which did not allow us time to discuss the topic for the
next session, streaming options, and any other business. Considering these
two and the experience of the past couple of sessions I think we could use
just a little bit more structure. I am thinking of the following:

1. A venue checklist that would allow anyone checking out a potential venue
to be sure it will suit our needs;
2. A structured timetable for a session taking into account the
presentation, discussion of the presentation, and any other business;
3. We need a better way to inform new participants coming to a session. For
example the good folks at KITEC who attended the session did not have ruby
installed since they were not privy to this forum.

I'll think about these a bit more and post them in a separate thread where
you can also add your comments. All in all it was a fun and engaging
evening, and thanks to Godlisten (am I spelling it right?) of KITEC for
being excited with us all the way to the end. We are still rough around the
edges but we'll continually refine the process.